The present times have seen a rising importance of EHS in construction. The government of different countries worldwide have been giving prime importance to safety in workplaces and as a result, more and more initiatives have been undertakento ensure safety in workplaces, especially the ones that are critical in nature, like the construction, oil & gas, mining, manufacturing and so on.One such initiative includes greater investments on the part of the governments towards new and advanced technologies to ensure safety in construction and other critical industries. This has made more-and-more construction companies to adopt smart site safety system (SSSS) to improve the safety performance in the construction jobsites.
As for example, in the recent years, the Government of Hong Kong has aimed at re-shaping the culture of site safety in collaboration with the stakeholders from the industry. This is in response to the large number of jobsite fatalities and the growing concern towards improving workplace safety. As a result, the Government of Hong Kong has been allocating huge resources on the active promotion of the use of new and innovative construction technologies and methods that can enhance site safety as well as augment safety management in jobsites. As a result of this, Smart Site Safety System in Hong Kon ghas been gaining widespread popularity as a best fit solution to improve safety performance in jobsites.
What is Smart Site Safety System (SSSS)?
The Smart Site Safety System or SSSS are innovative systems that are powered by advanced technologies like AI for workplace safety, Internet-of-Things (IoT) and video analytics. They accumulate huge amounts of data from every part of a construction (or any other) jobsite and aids better control of major accidents and casualties in the jobsite.
How Does Smart Site Safety System (SSSS) Works?
In order for the SSSS to ensure safety in workplaces, it collects real-time data from jobsites and transfers it to a centralized management platform – anessential component of the SSSS. This enables the project teams to havebetter grasp of the real-time happenings in the entire jobsite. In addition, whenever any safety non-compliance/ risk is detected by the AI-powered cameras, the AI safety monitoring system tiggersimmediate alerts. This further enables the safety management staff and workers on-site to instantly get aware of the risky situation and take timely measures. On the top of it, the centralized management platform can collect site safety performance data that can be used by the project team/ stakeholders for further analysis as well as provide them with greater information about the site situations;thus, enabling them to formulate targeted safety measures.
How Can Smart Site Safety System Ensure Safety in Critical Jobsites?
The smart site safety system has the following components with the help of which it ensures safety in critical jobsites:
- The Centralized Management Platform: The centralized management platform for workplacesor the CPM is the medium through which the project team can monitor the site safety performance online. All the audio-visual insights captured by the AI-powered cameras are displayed in the CPM and recorded in the cloud platform. The stakeholders or project teams can view these data anytime later in order to make subsequent analysis. Therefore, it is through the CPM that the stakeholders respond, manages and records the insights captured by the smart AI safety monitoring system. As for example, the AI monitoring platform by viAct helps project teams to streamline their project management by offering a single platform for data, insightsandautomation.
- Dangerous Situation Alert System:The safety monitoring system using artificial intelligenceis equipped with a system of instant alerts that generates real-time and immediate alerts whenever any unsafe act or safety non-compliance or dangerous situation is detected by AI video analytics. This provides a ‘warning system’ for the stakeholders and workers so that they can take immediate insightful action to avoid fatalities in the jobsite.
- Hazardous Area Access Control: The smart site safety system offers a system of danger zone detection alert. This behavioural based workplace safety monitoring system monitors the behaviour of the workers (or any other person) in the jobsite and detects any unsafe act on their part, like danger zone intrusion detection. This unsafe act detection alert can further generate real-time and immediate alertsin case worker(s) or any other person(s) enters into a hazardous area or restricted area or danger zone like holes, fencing, lifting zones, wet floors, etc.
- PPE Detection:The safety monitoring system leveraging the power of AI video analytics also offers a smart PPE detection solution. ThisPPE detection solution for construction and other jobsites uses video analytics to detect different types of PPEs like hard hats, masks, boots, etc. In case any PPE non-compliance is detected in the jobsite, instant alerts are sent out, notifying the concerned stakeholder about the PPE non-compliance so that immediate corrective measure can be initiated.
- Digitized Tracking System:For ensuring the overall safety in construction and other jobsites likesafety in oil & gas industry and/or safety in mining industry; it is necessary to ensure the safety of the 3M’s of construction – men, machine and materials. The smart site safety system through its unique digital identification provides up-to-date status of test certification, examination, checking and maintenance of tools. This allows stakeholders in real-time tracking of the site plants, powered tools and ladders as well as facilitates maintenance of equipment in the jobsites.
- Digitalized Permit-to-Work System: A digitized permit-to-work (PTWs) system is also offered by the smart site safety system through online application, issuance and tracking of permit-to-work/ permit-to-move and operate using a mobile device.
- Confined Space Safety Monitoring System:The confined space monitoring system uses AI video analytics to increase the transparency in confined space works. The safety management software gives stakeholders access to the real-time happenings in confined spaces. As for example, the World’s 1stMobile AI monitoring solution for confined spaces– viMOVby viAct has industry leading accuracy to control and monitor confined space entry access, detect flowing solids and liquids, track atmospheric changes and so on.
Thus, through the above mentioned, the SSSS helps ensure workplace safety.